The Best Laid Plans
Somehow I managed to put back on 12 of the 20lbs I had lost a few months ago. Well, not somehow, I know how it happened but I'm sad that I let it happen. I had every intention of keeping up my good habits developed while on my 40-some odd day diet...like preparing meals a week in advance and having them in the fridge ready to grab and go, not drinking soda, and not gorging myself on sugary sweets. I have failed.
I knew that with the approaching holiday's there was going to be a good deal of me eating things I shouldn't but I figured I'd keep it somewhat under control. I swear I turned into a rehabbed druggie gone wrong. I was a reformed foodie, I had lived months without sugars and starches and I was still alive to tell the tale but alas, Thanksgiving and Christmas showed me what I had been missing and I succumbed to my desire to eat all that sugary,fatty goodness, instead of disappearing it had just been buried under all my best laid plans. Struggling with money hasn't helped either, buying fresh fruit and vegetables that go bad faster than I can eat them isn't easy when my bank account balance is nearing it's end and the month is still stretching into the horizon.
I am trying to make compromises now to get me back into the right frame of mind. I'm quitting the soda again for homemade lemonade and water instead. Since the fresh version of my veggies isn't something I can manage to eat before they spoil I'm trying out their canned counterparts. Canned spinach isn't that bad if you take the time to do more than just plop it in a pan and turn on the heat. After a weekend candy binge I'm passing up candy, cake, cookies, etc. unless they're small quantities of homemade goodies. I hope this helps me to get back into my more reserved frame of mind, when it comes to food of course. I'm starting to see where the weight is coming back too! It's not just on the scale, oh no!, it's starting to balloon out over my pants again. I must stop this insanity before it gets back to where it was...no more!
One thing I am super proud of myself about is my lack of desire for fast food. The likes of McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, and other nefarious unhealthy drive-thru windows have managed to remain un-appealing to me post diet. I just hope that I will be able to get back on track soon...I'm hoping to do my second round of dieting, to drop that last 15 or so pounds, by the beginning of March.
I knew that with the approaching holiday's there was going to be a good deal of me eating things I shouldn't but I figured I'd keep it somewhat under control. I swear I turned into a rehabbed druggie gone wrong. I was a reformed foodie, I had lived months without sugars and starches and I was still alive to tell the tale but alas, Thanksgiving and Christmas showed me what I had been missing and I succumbed to my desire to eat all that sugary,fatty goodness, instead of disappearing it had just been buried under all my best laid plans. Struggling with money hasn't helped either, buying fresh fruit and vegetables that go bad faster than I can eat them isn't easy when my bank account balance is nearing it's end and the month is still stretching into the horizon.
I am trying to make compromises now to get me back into the right frame of mind. I'm quitting the soda again for homemade lemonade and water instead. Since the fresh version of my veggies isn't something I can manage to eat before they spoil I'm trying out their canned counterparts. Canned spinach isn't that bad if you take the time to do more than just plop it in a pan and turn on the heat. After a weekend candy binge I'm passing up candy, cake, cookies, etc. unless they're small quantities of homemade goodies. I hope this helps me to get back into my more reserved frame of mind, when it comes to food of course. I'm starting to see where the weight is coming back too! It's not just on the scale, oh no!, it's starting to balloon out over my pants again. I must stop this insanity before it gets back to where it was...no more!
One thing I am super proud of myself about is my lack of desire for fast food. The likes of McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, and other nefarious unhealthy drive-thru windows have managed to remain un-appealing to me post diet. I just hope that I will be able to get back on track soon...I'm hoping to do my second round of dieting, to drop that last 15 or so pounds, by the beginning of March.


2 Share The Love:
Since moving to Amsterdam and having a fridge the size of one found in freshman dorm rooms, I've been forced to buy in smaller quantities and go grocery shopping a few times a week. One plus for you though, is that you probably have a freezer that's bigger than the size of a shoebox. That said, most vegetables are freezable and if you don't need to eat them raw, are excellent source of fresh veggies. Either that, otherwise Aldi's has frozen veggies that are much cheaper than your everyday grocery store. Plus, frozen is much, much healthier than canned. Canned has so much salt in it you'll be holding onto water.
Good luck Ariel!
I have 2 suggestions- first; try frozen veggies for claireb suggested! They are tasty, good for you, cheap, and I like them better than their canned counterparts.
Second: if you love sweets and candy then don't utterly deprive yourself of them. That's why people have the tendency to binge after they have been off candy for a while- it is a treat that they've deprived themselves of. If you instead learn to have sweets around you but to eat them in severe moderation then you'll fair a lot better. That way when you are somewhere with a ton of sweets you'll be able to tell yourself that you're just going to eat half or a few bites. That's what a professor I had once talked about and it is what I'm trying to do.
I'll get a bag of M&Ms and see how long I can make them last by eating 2-3 of them a day or when I want something sugary.
You should try it... then maybe next holiday season you'll get a half a slice of pie and be able to keep the pounds off.
Post a Comment